Thursday, March 31, 2011

When life hands you lemons...I am really sick of lemonade!

Could things be easy for us when it comes to pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum? I was hoping since the 3rd time was not a charm that the fourth would have to be, I can't be that unlucky, but I found out I am and somehow ended up with another complication that only happens in like 1% of pregnancies.

I had some of the routine first trimester blood work done and it came back that I have antibodies to certain things in blood. I was referred to a Perinatologist (for those of you who don't know it is a doc that is specialized in high risk pregnancies.) To make a long story short if my baby has a certain blood type that my body has made antibodies against my body will destroy the baby's red blood cells and cause anemia in the baby. Treatment? Very frequent ultrasounds to measure blood in the brain to check for anemia and if anemia happens the baby will have to get blood transfusions via a needle inserted into my stomach and through the umbilical cord. Sounds like fun for both of us huh?I asked how likely it will be that the baby will be affected. They said based on the high number of antibodies in my blood it is very likely. Damn.

So the next step is getting my husbands blood type looked at to see if he is going to pass the baby the type my body has antibodies to. Second at 15 weeks will have follow up bloodwork and an amniocentesis, which I haven't ever had so I am nervous. I guess the doc said for now it won't affect the baby until about the 18th week and I am 11 weeks now. I will keep you updated.

On a cheerier subject, spring is near, I can feel it. I have been thinking about planting flowers, having sheets on the bed that smell wonderful from being hung outside, having the windows open and barbecuing. I can't wait for the children to be able to play outside and to be able to take these hyper dogs to the dog park. The down side to the transition from winter to spring is all the dog poop that surfaces, and the muddy dog feet that have to be cleaned, woohoo! I love my animals but Life would be so much easier without them *sigh*.

No comments:

Post a Comment