Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A day in the life of an elf and The birds and the bees

This afternoon we took the children to the holiday display "A day in the life of an elf" at the Macy's in Minneapolis. We had seen it a few years back but decided we'd like to see it again. At the end of the adventure we saw Santa.

On our way home while stuck in traffic we decided it was a good time to have the birds and the bees talk with Romeo.(Olivia and baby were sleeping) We had been going back and forth for quite some time about if it was the right time and how to initiate the subject. I had read an article in the Parents magazine about the right age and how to go about it so that was helpful information.

When I found out I was pregnant, the children were still under the impression that the stork drops off the baby or thought that the doctor just cut it out. I decided then it was time to tell them the truth and it went very well. This conversation also went well. Olivia woke up while we were explaining things to Romeo so we talked with her as well.

One of our reasons for wanting to talk to them about it now is because we figured with all the things on television and in songs and boys and girls starting to notice each other in school that they probably knew something about it already. To my surprise they really didn't know much.

We didn't get into too much detail but told them the basics. Olivia thought it was gross and Romeo was a little weirded out. It was much easier than I expected though and I think it went well overall. I think it was a good icebreaker for future questions they may have.

For now they didn't have many questions about it but with Romeo approaching the age of liking girls and puberty, I just wanted him to know that he can talk to us about anything. I want them both to always feel comfortable coming to us with their questions whether it be about sex, friends, school, whatever it is because that's what we are here for as their parents, to guide them and to be there for them through everything.  I want us to do the best we can because we are shaping the future and that is not to be taken lightly, that's something I always keep in my mind and so far I think we are doing a pretty good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment