Thursday, December 30, 2010

Our little handful

When Romeo was a baby, he was spoiled. That was him in one word. I blame us and our close family but mainly us. Most people will say that it was because we were young but even though that was the case that wasn't the reason he was spoiled. We were very good parents for being so young but like most first time parents we were just guilty of being inexperienced and letting him get away with everything. My grandma told me that she read somewhere that your first child is your learning child and that you should be able to throw that one away and start over (obviously a joke). Other than being spoiled he wasn't a "hard baby".

When Olivia was born we did things a lot differently. She was on a feeding schedule, slept in her own bed and was such an easy baby you could have had ten of her and wouldn't even have noticed. She just had such an easy going demeanor from birth.

This time around has been different and I would have to say Gabriel is our little handful. The first few weeks of life he was pretty laid back but after that things got hard. First with weeks of pain from his condition he was extremely fussy but when we found out what he had been going through it all made sense. After his surgery we thought that things would change since he was feeling better. He has changed in the sense that he noticeably feels better and we can actually put him down and console him when hes fussy but he still is our fussy little guy and does so quite often. I have taken him to the doctor a few times to rule out other things since surgery but with a clean bill of health the doctor says she thinks he has been suffering from colic.

Colic is defined as an otherwise healthy baby that cries for 3 hours a day for 3 days in a row for at least 3 weeks consistently. They say babies with colic ball up their fists and pull their legs up to their chests and wail in the early evening hours for hours and then are fine...That's not Gabriel, he doesn't do any of that so I really wouldn't label him colicky. Instead I think that he just had a rough start and is trying to figure things out in this new world and fussing is his only way to communicate right now. So while hes doing that I don't get a lot done during the day which has been a little hard for me to not be able to just march to the beat of my own drum like I used to. I'm getting used to it though and realize that its just a stage and that he will grow out of it.

If it is indeed some form of mild colic though the doctor assured me that at 100 days old it goes away. Well tomorrow he is 100 days old so if that is the case we will have a whole new baby in the new year lol. You know what, it really doesn't matter, I love him so much that he could cry every second of every day and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Besides that Prob and I are a great team and we just take everything in stride. Gabriel is out to prove me wrong though because since I have been writing this he has been contently playing under his baby gym...go figure (:

No comments:

Post a Comment