Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thrifty can be good

These past few days I have been on the hunt to find things to better organize our house without spending an arm and a leg. My first attempt failed and I ended up at target buying some Rubbermaid storage bins, which weren't that cheap. Today was better however and Gabriel and I found lots of good things for my organization project at a local thrift store. I feel really good when I find such good deals on things that I need. I even ended up getting a beautiful wool coat for like 3 dollars, hey cant go wrong there. It also reminded mewhat good deals you can find at thrift stores

Yesterday when I went to check on Gabriel during his nap, this is what I found. He wasn't crying or anything and it was too cute for me to go through my mind about the what ifs. So instead I took a picture. 


Tonight for dinner I made a recipe that I hadn't tried before. It came from a cook book, " Easy stovetop chicken recipes of the world" that my mother picked up for me at a garage sale over the past summer. Chicken and bean enchiladas, and they were delicious.

Chicken and Bean Enchiladas (Serves 4)INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1/2 pds boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • salt, black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 red onion
  • 1-10oz can kidney beans
  • 1- 8oz jar salsa
  • lettuce (your choice of kind)
  • 8 corn tortillas
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
  • goat cheese or feta cheese (crumble)
Cut chicken breasts in thin strips and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and cumin. Cook in skillet until done. Drain beans and rinse in cold water. In saucepan add beans and salsa, heat through over low heat. Chop lettuce, chop onion finely, finely chop cilantro. Warm tortillas in a small amount of oil in pan. Lay out tortillas on a cutting board and spread bean mixture, then top with chicken and lettuce. Roll up and top with onion, cilantro, and feta cheese. ( I liked squirting lime on top of mine too)

No comments:

Post a Comment