Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day of School

Today is the children's first day back at school. I decided this year we would change our morning routine and get up a bit earlier so that we would be in less of a rush and so that I would have more time to get things done that I need to do. I can't sleep anyway lately so I got up at 7:00, woke the children and while they were doing their morning routine, I started dinner in the crockpot. I decided last night that I would make beef stew for dinner tonight so I cut everything up last night so all I had to do was put it all in the crockpot this morning and by 5:00 tonight it should be done. I realize that I am going to need to do easy meals like this more often especially when baby comes because it helps me out a lot. I have a book of slow cooker recipes and it has some amazing meals in it that are pretty simple and taste great. It is the Pillsbury Slow Cooker recipes, I recommend it and you could probably check it out from your local Library.

Here is the recipe for the Beef stew:

FAMILY FAVORITE BEEF STEW

1 1/2 pds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4inch cubes ( I just buy the beef stew meat that is already cut)
5 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp oil
1lb small red potatoes, quartered ( I use regular white potatoes)
1 1/2 cups frozen pearl onions ( I just quarter a big yellow onion)
1 12oz can/jar beef gravy
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup cold water

On wax paper sprinkle your beef with 2tbsp of the flour, salt and pepper, toss to coat. Heat oil in large skillet until hot then add coated beef, cook until browned.
In slow cooker layer potatoes, onions, and carrots. Add browned beef. Top with the gravy and tomatoes.

Cover, cook on low 8-10 hours. ( I notice sometimes at the 8 hour mark that the beef is still not tender enough so at about 8 hours I turn it to high for about an hour or so and that really tenders it up, You may need to experiment)

About 10 minutes before serving blend water and 3 tbsp flour until smooth. Stir into stew. Increase heat setting to high; cover and cook an additional 10 min or until thickened.

So after we had all of our morning tasks done we made our way to school and of course Romeo the
now 5th grader didn't want me to walk him to his classroom (which I completely understand), so we wished him a great day and Olivia and I walked to her classroom. All Olivia's friends from last year were there in the second grade hallway checking out their new lockers, so excited for the new school year and to see each other. She went in and sat down at her new desk that she has been so excited about and we said goodbye. 

As I made my way to the car I wasn't sad at all but happy that the kids have this wonderful school to go to and friends that they enjoy seeing. I feel blessed that we live in the country we do and that they are getting an education that people from other countries only dream of, I mean I am sure my husbands parents would have given anything for an education like this that so many of us take for granted. So today I am very thankful for that, for the opportunities we have here and for the excitement of all the kids on their first day of school ( and I can't lie I am thankful for some time to myself too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment