Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Waiting

Monday I had an ultrasound, one of many that I have had throughout this pregnancy to look for problems with the placenta because I had a condition called "placenta accreta" with my last pregnancy that caused major problems postpartum. Everything has looked normal with the baby and the placenta up to this point, and Monday was supposed to be my last ultrasound since I am due soon.
At the very end of the appointment though, the Doctor noticed that the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck and when he looked closer he said that it was wrapped around twice. My heart just sank. The doctor watched the baby's breathing and heart rate for awhile and found it to be normal. He said that right now the baby is fine but that a cord around the neck during labor can pose a problem because once the baby descends into the pelvis, the cord can get compressed or pulled tight and cut off oxygen to the baby. With that, he decided he needed to see me back next Tuesday to see if the baby has unwound himself otherwise a c-section might be the best route. Although I would like to avoid that especially since I've never had a c-section, I'll do whatever it takes to make sure he gets here safe. So now all I have been doing is making sure I am feeling him move inside and I feel so on edge. I am so worried about him. I have a doctors appointment on Friday and just want Friday and Tuesday to come so I can find out what we are going to have to do.  More than that I just want him to be here, safe in my arms. That is all I've wanted since the day I found out I was pregnant, him here where I can keep him safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment